Monday, January 28, 2008

100th post

Well I looked at the number of posts yesterday and realized I've hit 100, really 101 to be accurate. So to celebrate my 100th post, I thought I'd do something different and instead of talking about Grace, or the adoption wait, or whining about something, I'd talk about me. Here are 50 things about me you may or may not know. I hope I don't bore you all too much.

1. I've been married for 18 years to Dan.
2. I take a size 7.5 shoe.
3. My middle name is Elizabeth (a family name).
4. I am 1/2 Swedish, the rest German, Irish and a little bit French Canadian.
5. I graduated from Purdue University in the state of Indiana. I majored in nursing and worked for a year on an adult neuro-rehab floor, then 17 years in Neonatal ICU's (also floated to Peds ICU's).
6. I loved nursing, but should have majored in Art or Design in college.
7. My eyes are green.
8. I'm 5'6" tall (I always wanted to be 5'8").
9. I am an intuitive person.
10. I'm not a camper. Camping to me is staying in a hotel.
11. Being a SAHM is the hardest thing I've ever done--I have so much respect for my Mother who did this in the 1960's, 70's and 80's.
12. One of my favorite vacations is to travel to Napa, CA-stay in a B&B and go wine tasting! Wish I was there right now, we have close friends that live there.
13. I cry easily watching movies.
14. If I won the lottery or a lot of money I'd donate most of the $ to children's charities.
15. I'm the oldest of 4 children and I definitely have an "oldest child" personality.
16. My ex-husband and I have a very civil relationship.
17. I love to sing! I have an average voice.
18. My 2 favorite cities in the U.S. are Chicago and San Francisco, I've been fortunate to live near both of them for many years.
19. Some of my interests are: reading (about China and adoption), gardening, interior design, calligraphy, card making, and wine(yes-- wine).
20. I'm "wound pretty tight" a lot of the time, but people tell me I have a calm demeanour and voice.
21. My favorite season is Fall, second favorite is Spring.
22. I'm an organized person (most of the time) and a planner.
23. I was in the top 5% of my class of 675 students in high school.
24. My favorite foods are: shrimp, garlic, fresh green beans and peaches. Not all mixed together though.
25. I wear glasses now and am new to wearing them.
26. I grew up in a very "Leave It to Beaver" family...my Mom stayed at home and Dad was home every night for dinner at 5:30pm.
27. Some favorite movies of mine are: The Sound of Music, Lost in Translation, When Harry met Sally, My Fair Lady, Little Miss Sunshine, and Memoirs of a Geisha.
28. Some memorable hairstyles that I had were the "Marcia Brady" mid-70's "do," the "Farrah Fawcett" late-70's "do," and of course the big hair 80's hairdo. I will have to find some old pics of me then and post them. I was pretty good with a curling iron I will confess.
29. I'm an accessory (purse's, shoes, and jewelry) addict. I admit I have a problem.
30. I've had a blast in my 40's and look forward to turning 50.
31. The trip to China and adoption has truly been a life changing experience for me in so many ways, and I will never be the same.
32. I love biology, anatomy and physiology and never tire of reading about those subjects.
33. My celebrity crushes are on George Clooney, Ewan McGregor, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Jude Law, Jon Bon Jovi, and Harrison Ford (in his younger days).
34. I grew up in the Lutheran Church and I now belong to a Presbyterian one here where we live.
35. I want to learn how to knit (my Mom knits beautifully), and plan on taking a photography class.
36. I'm not very athletic, in fact I'd describe myself as kind of klutzy--but I'm a strong swimmer and I can water ski.
37. I miss the medical profession but doubt I'll ever return to it.
38. I was NOT the nicest teenager--very nasty to my Mom for a time period. Sorry Mom.
39. I was a "girly girl" growing up.
40. I'm a great friend!
41. I think my last name (the married name) is funny (the humorous kind of funny).
42. Some favorite books of mine: The Good Earth, To Kill a Mockingbird, Diary of Anne Frank, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and The Little Prince.
43. I'm not opposed to plastic surgery someday. Hey, I'm a little shallow but I'm also truthful. :)
44. As an adult I've lived in North Carolina, Ohio, Illinois (2 different times), Northern California, and Wisconsin. I've enjoyed every place that I've lived.
45. I never in a million years thought I'd be a parent (again) in my 40's and now probably early 50's when this second adoption is completed.
46. I've been pregnant 4 times (sadly, I've had 3 miscarriages).
47. I have amazing parents and siblings that I am close to.
48. I love little kids, I don't really have a favorite age or developmental stage of children. I do have a least favorite age group-2 yr. olds. That's just my opinion.
49. My sister Betsy and I are 18 months apart to the day in age. When we get together no one can get a word in. My husband Dan says she and I have our own language. Betsy and I laugh until we cry when we are together. Having a sister is the best!
50. I met Dan at our 10 year high school reunion. He was married previously and had been divorced for a few years. I had been divorced 3 days when we met. I almost didn't go to the reunion because my best girlfriend (who was supposed to go with me) had a baby the day before. So I went by myself. I remember I was scared to death to go alone and of course grieving my divorce. I met Dan at the reunion, actually re-met. We went to the same high school, had many classes together and had many mutual friends, but never dated. He and I both went to Purdue University at the same time, but again never dated. I did have a crush on him then. Our paths crossed many times as young people. At the 10 year reunion he followed me around like a puppy, I had been burned pretty badly by my ex and didn't want to date anyone ever again (ha...so I thought) and certainly not get married again. We became friends and dated for 3 yrs. before we were married. It's the best thing I've ever done. Dan is the love of my life and the person I was supposed to be with forever. It just took me a little while to find him.


Well, there's my 50. I didn't think I could come up with that many and probably could have gone on and on, but won't. :)

5 kind words:

Brandi said...

We have a lot in common. Reading thru your list...I think I could have written it myself!

Thanks for sharing!

Paula said...

Great job on the list. I also have a lot in common. Good relationship with Ex, not opposed to plastic surgery, adoption has changed my life, so many.

Angie said...

Great list! It was great learning more about you, Gail!
My sister and I call each other and laugh until we cry about once a week! You're right, sisters are the best!

crazylady said...

well it took me a while to navigate to this blog... you are linked to the group site in your profile..

ANYwho... that was a great informative ice breaker for me.
I'm Finnish, but there is a whole conspiracy in the family to cover up the fact that my grandfather and everyone before that was actually Swedish...
So we're a couple of tightly wound nurses.. any other kind nowadays? Has parenting mellowed you? Me, not so much.
I'm also Lutheran but I have no idea what that is, as we don't actively practice religion currrently. Looking for church of snark, but they're not close.

Thanks for the good reading.
Senja

Ashley said...

That was great, Gail. We have so much in common! We even have the same middle name and shoe size! Thanks for sharing so much of yourself. You are GREAT!!
xoxo, Ashley

 
© Aging with Grace and strong Will
CoffeeShop Designs