Monday, November 3, 2008

November 4th

November 4th is an important date for me for 2 reasons. First, Dan and I were married on that day 19 years ago. You can look here, and read my post from a year ago. 19 years is a long time. Dan and I eloped 19 years ago and went on a really nice honeymoon in Hawaii. I cannot imagine a better father for my children or partner for me. It's been a roller coaster, but isn't that what life is? Happy 19th Dan! I love you so much.
The second reason that November 4th is important to me is that tomorrow is an historic Presidential election in the U.S. I think that every Presidential election is important and I've always taken my right to vote seriously. I've voted since I was 18 years old. I debated a long time about what I wanted to say in this post and decided to write from the heart. I grew up in a conservative upper-middle class family in the Midwest. A Christian, Republican family. As children we were always encouraged to think and question. And question me and my 3 other siblings did. We loved to debate. Religion, politics, you name it...we debated it. I've heard it all, believe me. My father in law was one of the first paratroopers to land in Normandy, France on D-Day during World War 2 in 1944. My father fought in the Korean war in the mid 1950's. I respect all those who serve their country immensely. I respect Mr. McCain and his service, but I don't feel that I can vote for him. When I vote, I don't vote for someone because of 1 issue, I vote for the whole package. The United States is an amazing country and I love it with all my heart. I feel privileged and honored to have ancestors that settled here and that I was born here. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this Christian Republican is voting for Mr. Obama. And yes a Christian can vote for a Democrat. Like I said, I don't vote for 1 issue. Dan and I are in a tax bracket financially that we highly likely will have our taxes raised under Obama. But it's not about me and my taxes, it's about what is best for everyone in our country. Change. Change is good. Our country is not a perfect one, there are many things about it that could be so much better. I'm not telling you who to vote for, I'm just asking you to vote. I want my children to be proud of their country.

Okay, please don't scream at me too much...

12 kind words:

OH MY #6 said...

U won't hear a scream from me my friend. I think this is a well thought out and written post. I think it screams compassion! And, compassion is what I strive for in my every day life!

Love you friend.

Lea

Karen said...

No screams from me either, (though I am voting for McCain)...your expression is part of what still makes this country of ours great. I think there are a great many people out there who are greatly disenfranchised with our whole political process,(myself included) and so promises of "change" offer what we all want to hear...just not so sure abot the substance behind either candidates offerings of "change". I do think the Obama campaign more effectively tapped into the voters

Karen said...

...and Happy Anniversary!

missy said...

Great, thoughtful post! I hope you and your sweet hubby have a wonderful day tomorrow.

GObama! I am going to an election party tomorrow night where there will be a nice mix of Republicans and Democrats. That is what I love about America...we all have a voice and it is OK to have an opinion.

A Mom- In-W8ing said...

Happy Anniversary to you both!

Smiles! :o)
Nikki

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Happy Anniversary!

No one is going to scream at you....everyone has the right to their own opinion! To be perfectly honest, I am not thrilled with either candidate...in my mind there are pros and cons either way. It is an interesting time for our country.....whoever is elected better come through with some major changes.

Story of our Life said...

First of all - Happy Anniversary!!!

No screams from me. I loved how you expressed your thoughts on this issue.

I can't even begin to express what I wanted to say therefore I ahve not said to much on my blog.

However, what you said...I 2nd. :o)

take care!!

Gala

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

Hey SFAM

Every time I read your posts I wish that we lived closer and could spend time together. You are such an intelligent and thoughtful woman. One of the qualities that I most admire is a person who can weigh it all out and make an informed decision...their own decision and not just rely on what they are "supposed" to do. You are such a woman and no matter who you voted for I would still admire you. I have to say that I am glad that my "sis" is going for Obama as well.

Congrats on your wedding anniverary to your wonderful husband and hopefully you will have two things to celebrate tomorrow evening!

redmaryjanes said...

I am a Christian who is voting for Obama. I think everyone should vote for who they choose.
The only person who would get a lecture from me is the one who isn't voting at all.

Anonymous said...

I agree. God loves folks in all the parties. I voted too, and my kids may have voted differently. Isn't it nice we when can really know each other in families?

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Happy 19 years to you, and counting!

insanemommy said...

First, Happy Anniversary! Wow. So much to be proud of.

Secondly, No screaming from this camp. It's no secret (I don't think so....) how I felt about Obama. I couldn't be happier for the outcome. This is the best thing to happen in our life time. Amazing.

 
© Aging with Grace and strong Will
CoffeeShop Designs